Thursday 11 May 2017

Penguin / Evaluation

This brief was a live project, submitted to the Penguin Random House Award. The brief involved designing a cover for the non-fiction classic, In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. 

In terms of time management, I started this brief early on in the year, and due to Context of Practice ended up abandoning it for a while until that was over. In that time however, I gained a fresh perspective on the brief and spent an adequate amount of time researching and developing my outcome. In the end this could be improved on by starting and finishing the brief in a shorter amount of time, instead of letting the project collect dust. However, the resolution was submitted within plenty of time, and I felt it was highly appropriate to the genre. 

This brief allowed me to effectively use skills I had not visited in a while, for example hand rendered textures and elements. This was refreshing and allowed me to keep up with using different techniques I do not use as frequently within my practice now.


Retrospectively, in terms of the design, I was not fully happy with the final product, as I felt it was very obvious and did not push any fresh ideas, something I strive to do within my practice. Looking at the design, it is appropriate, but does not intrigue me. In hindsight I would produce a more abstract design, with a more interesting and obscure concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment