Wednesday 12 April 2017

Metal Magazine / Experience

Printing

Throughout this brief I had to make sure I was creating a file that was correct for the printers. I have chosen to use fluorescent pink ink for this project, which resulted in me having to scout out printer services which print this colour. Pressision were the only company offering this service that could print this spot colour digitally, promising to be more cost effective. When sending samples and artwork, I had to learn how to actually apply the spot colour and the correct file types, which will be useful in industry when I may need to use these skills again. It's better to learn now and have that experience.


Management

Although I did work collaboratively for the project (writing etc), the management was all down to me. For existing magazines there's usually a team working and organising it, so doing all this as a one man band was quite difficult at times. I had to chase up many of the writers and bands, and organise the printing services which was also quite stressful and expensive. I needed to make decisions about how many copies will be printed, binding method, pantone spot colour, finishes...in order to keep the project within a budget.

Overall as well as designing the publication I have gained a lot of experience in organisation and management of a large project which I am positive will come in handy in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment