Tuesday 31 January 2017

Ceramics / Prototype / Clay Modelling

After research into various existing ceramic artists and styles, I felt I was able to start practicing. Since ceramics is not something you can just instantly be skilled at, I considered that it was best to begin practicing now in order to ensure that I gain experience and pick up tips before constructing final products. In the ceramics department, I was advised on what would be the best methods of making my whales. I had the idea to hand craft them out of clay.


The idea was to start modelling a rough shape of the beluga, and then to cut the model in half and scoop out the insides. When clay is sent into the kiln room, a model like this should be hollow in order to avoid explosions. The thickness of the shape should be similar to cheese 'being able to hold its shape but still malleable'.




The model needs to be sliced and scooped using the tools provided, and then put back together seemlessly. This was quite hard to do as I needed to make sure the model had an appropriate thickness so it didn't collapse on itself. The hollow form of the shape meant that when modelling, it was pliable.

When the inside of the beluga model was removed and formed back together, then was time to model the more detailed aspects, such as eyes, head shape and mouth;






Above is the final clay model which will then proceed to be put in the kiln to harden. Then colour will be added and a glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment